Colon & Rectal surgery is performed on the intestinal tract, rectum, anus, and peri-anal areas. It is also known as colorectal surgery, rectal surgery, colon surgery, anal surgery, rectum surgery, and intestine surgery.
Diseases and disorders
Colon & rectal surgery is performed to treat the following disorders -
• Swelling and inflammation of vein in the rectum anus
• Tears and cracks in anus
• Abnormal connections or passageways between the rectum and other anorectal area to the skin surface
• Conditions of severe constipations
• Fecal incontinence (loss of regular control of bowels)
• Protrusion of the rectum walls through the anus
• Imperforate anus (a birth defect in which rectum is abnormally formed)
• Severe colic disorders, such as Crohn’s disease
• Colon and rectum cancer also known as (also known as colorectal cancer, which is developed from uncontrolled cell growth in the colon, rectum or appendix)
• Repositioning of the rectal area (if fallen)
• Anal cancer
• Any kind of anus injuries
• Removal of objects that are deliberately inserted into anus
Tests, treatments, drugs and diagnose
Depending on the type of rectum, colon and anus disorder, the treatment is recommended to the patient. Prior to the surgery, few diagnostic procedures like colonoscopy, proctoscopy, defecating proctography, and sigmoidoscopy are performed by the colorectal surgeons. Several colon and rectal surgeries such as colectomy, polypectomy, ileo/colostomy, hemorrhoidectomy, strictureplasty, and anoplasty are performed to treat the different types of conditions.
When to call colorectal Surgeon?
Colorectal surgeons are consulted to treat the disorders related to rectum, colon and anus.