What is family/ general practice?
Family/ general practice is a field of medicine, which deals with acute and chronic illness and provides preventive care and health education to people. Doctors specialized in this field are known as family physicians or general practitioners. Family physicians treat diseases for all ages and all sexes. General practitioners are specialized in diagnosing and treating people with various disorders, diseases and health issues.
General practitioners are usually referred as family doctors. To become a family doctor in India, person requires any of following degree:
• MBBS [Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery]
• BAMS [Bachelor of Ayurveda, Medicine and Surgery]
• BHMS [Bachelor of Homoeopathic, Medicine and Surgery]
• BUMS [Bachelor of Unani, Medicine and Surgery]
Diseases and conditions
General practitioner treats patients from all kind of age groups. Family doctors do physical exams, regular checkups and treat people with illnesses, injuries or disease. If required family physician may refer patients to specialists for the treatment of specific diseases or conditions.
Treatments and diagnosis
Family doctors have personal relationship with patients and his family. Hence, general practitioners work closely with patient and other doctors. Family physicians are highly concern about the health and safety of their patients.
Family doctors do following treatments:
• Prescribe medications, give different medical treatments depending upon patients disease
• Prescribe pathological test and analyze results and make diagnoses
• Determine patients health problem and examination by examination
• Monitor the patients' conditions and progress. Re-evaluate treatments as needed
• Refer patients to health care specialists when needed
• Perform surgeries on injuries whenever needed
• Discuss medical treatment and health issue with patient
• Counsel patients on preventive health measures, such as diet and exercise.
• Counsel family members about patient's condition.
• Keep detailed medical history of patients' health
When to call Family doctors, family physicians, general practitioner?
You can call family doctors whenever you feel seek or have minute health issue. Family physician ensures patient health by evaluating his all symptoms. You should visit general practitioner for regular health checkups, any sudden injuries or for any health issue. Family doctors works as a part of family and ensures that each family member lives healthy and long life.