What is internal medicine?
Internal medicine is field in medicine, which deals with prevention, diagnosis and treatments of adult diseases. Doctors specialized in internal medicine are called internists. Internists focus their practice on general medicine but they can do additional studies in one of thirteen areas of internal medicine.
Internal medicine subspecialties include adolescent medicine, allergy and immunology, cardiology, endocrinology, gastroenterology, geriatrics, haematology, infectious disease, nephrology, oncology, pulmonology, rheumatology and sports medicine.
Diseases and conditions
Internal medicine specialist can treat all kind of adult diseases like diabetes, liver disease, chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases, thyroid etc. for example, if patient is suffering with infectious disease then internist who is infectious disease specialist can treat it.
Treatments and diagnosis
Internal medicine specialist usually treats diseases and disorders by medication, but many times they administer surgical treatments if required. Internal medicine specialist is mainly focused on the art of diagnosis and treatment with medication, but many times internist can administer surgical treatments. Internal medicine specialist gives following treatments:
• Cardiac treatments: They prescribe medications for heart and blood vessel disorders and diseases
• Endocrinology treatment: they treat hormonal disorders and problems. They treat all endocrinology systems.
• Treatments for infectious disease: infectious disease specialist treats all kind of infectious disease caused by bacteria, fungus or virus.
• Hospital medicine: Internal medicine specialists prescribe hospital medicines for hospitalized patients.
• Sports medicine: Internal medicine doctors give medications, treatment and preventive measures for injuries related to sports and exercise.
When to call internal medicine doctor?
You can consult internal medicine specialist whenever you need medication treatments for any disease. If you don’t want surgical procedures for your health problem which can be treated with medication you should consult internal medicine doctor. Other than these diseases patient can consult internal medicine specialist for following health problems:
• Chest pain
• Thyroid disorders
• Hormonal problem
• Infectious diseases
• Kidney problems
• Gastric problems
Internal medicine specialist treats many other diseases other than above mentioned diseases.