Obstetrics and gynecology (OB/GYN) are medical specialties, which deal with reproductive organs of both pregnant and non-pregnant females. Obstetrics gears on providing prenatal care, issues related to child birth, pregnancy support and post-partum care. Gynecology deals with general health of females, mainly focusing on their reproductive organs.
Diseases and condition
• Female pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgery – The surgery is performed to treat the disorders like fecal incontinence, rectocle, pelvic organ prolapsed, uterine prolapsed, ureteral injury (during gynecologic surgery), vesicovaginal fistula etc.
• Labor and delivery – Complications like abnormal delivery, cervical ripening, breech delivery, forceps delivery, normal delivery of infant, normal labor, management of the third stage of labor may occur in a pregnant woman.
• Gynecologic oncology – It is a condition when a female patient is suffering from problems like uterine cancer, cervical cancer, borderline ovarian cancer, hydatidiform mole, ovarian dysgerminomas, gynecologic tumor markers, malingnant vulvar lesions, meigs syndrome, granulose-theca cell tumors, etc.
• General gynecology – Complications like common pregnancy complications, pregnancy diagnosis, post-term pregnancy, prenatal nutrition, environmental pregnancy risks, estimate weight of fetal, elective abortion, fallopian tube disorders, menopause, miscarriages, early pregnancy loss, may occur in a pregnant woman.
• Infections – There might be certain kind of infections in females like cervictis, chlamydial genitourinary infections, HIV in pregnancy, pelvic inflammatory disease, condyloma, genital herpes in pregnancy, pelivic inflammatory disease organism-specific therapy, etc. during pregnant and non-pregnant state.
• Gynecologic surgery – The surgery is performed to cure the disease like mullerian duct anomalies, hysteroscopy, vulvar cancer, surgical management of ectopic pregnancy and vaginal cancer.
• Obstetrical risks – The obstetrical risks includes problem in fetal growth, malposition of the uterus, neural tube defects, placenta previa, preimortem cesarean delivery. Apart from that there are other complications during pregnancy like pregnancy trauma, preterm labor, twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome, acute fatty liver of pregnancy, evaluation of fetal death, streeter dysplasia, etc.
• Pregnancy issues – During pregnancy females may suffers from problems like adrenal disease, anemia, asthma, autoimmune thyroid disease, diabetes, bacterial infections, hepatitis, gastrointestinal disease, hypertension, liver disease, viral infection, urinary tract infection, renal disease etc.
• Reproductive endocrinology and infertility – The disease causes the problems like anovulation, amenorrhea, dysfunctional uterine bleeding, follicle-stimulating hormone abnormalities, hyperprolactinemia, infertility, preimplantation genetic diagnosis, etc
When to call obstetrics and gynecology doctors?
Visit the obstetrics and gynecology doctors for the problems related to infertility, family planning, pregnancy, menopause, maternity fetal and other issues related to the reproductive organs. Rush to gynecologist doctor during labor pain and for normal delivery.