Sexology is the study of diverse aspects of human sexuality, including human sexual interests, behaviour and function. The physician specialized in managing sexual problems are known as sexologist. They study several aspects of human sexualities such as sexual development, sexual orientation, mechanics of sexual intercourse, and the development of sexual relationships.
Diseases and disorders
Sexual dysfunctions - It is a medical condition, in which a couple experiences difficulty during any stage of a normal sexual activity, including –
• Sexual desire or orgasm in which there is lack or absence of sexual desire for some period of time for sexually activity.
• Sexual arousal disorder is characterised by avoidance of sexual contact with a partner.
• Erectile dysfunction also known as impotence in men is a sexual dysfunction, characterized by inability to develop or maintain an erection of penis.
• Premature ejaculation is a condition when ejaculation occurs before the partner has an orgasm.
• Orgasm disorder (Anorhamia) is a delay or absence of orgasm during sexual excitement phase.
• Sexual pain disorders are suffered by women. There are two conditions of sexual pain disorders – dyspareunia (vaginal dryness resulting in painful intercourse) and vaginismus (burning pain during sex due to problems with skin in vaginal areas and vulvar).
Sexual dysfunctions also include other conditions such as assessing anxiety, guilt, stress, and worry.
Pedophilia - It is a psychiatric disorder in which an individual aged 16 or older has sexual interest in prepubescent children.
Other sexual problems - There are several other sexual problems treated by sexologist including –
• Sexual dissatisfaction
• Inability to relax vaginal muscles enough for easy penetration
• Unhappiness related to sexual orientation
• Persistent sexual arousal syndrome
• Sexual addiction
• All forms of female genital cutting Tests, treatments, drugs and diagnose
Sexologist treats the sexual disorders depending on the sex – men or women. In men, psychotherapy is very effective in treating sexual dysfunction, while in some cases of erectile dysfunction marriage counselling sessions are recommended. Intracavernous pharmacotherapy is another method used to treat the problem. Males are also suggested to make some lifestyle changes like quit smoking, drug or alcohol consumption.
Arousal and orgasm disorders in females are treated by using a vacuum device, which helps to increase blood flow to the clitoris and external genitalia. Pain relievers or desensitizing agents are prescribed to woman if she experiences pain during intercourse. Females suffering from sexual dysfunctions are also sometimes referred to therapist or counsellor for psychosocial counselling.
When to call sexologist?
An individual should consult the sexologist if he/she is having any kind of sexual problems or disorders without feeling ashamed about it.